Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mozartkugeln



I never thought that I'd learn to make German cookies in Korea. Since my sister doesn't know how to spend her time studying, she wanted to partake in some extra credit work by making cookies reflecting the time period she's studying in her class. Therefore, we searched the web for "German cookie recipes." Instead of choosing something easy and more closely resembling something that Americans bake everyday, such as German chocolate chip cookies, we decided to go with these marzipan chocolates called Mozartkugeln. You start by making an almond paste for the center, then continue by making your own marzipan out of ground up walnuts for the outer center. The last step was probably the messiest, considering we had to hand dip the balls in a bowl of melted chocolate. Knowing us, we didn't just "dip" them, we pretty much submerged our hands in a spa-treatment. They say cocoa is good for your skin and I'm just starting to believe them.

A lot of people have asked me what I do when I'm in Korea..what do I do here that's different than what I do in America? It's a good question that I can't answer. I mean, here I am baking German cookies. I don't even think I actually do anything differently in whatever country I'm in. Eat, shop, party? The only thing that changes is how I do it. In Korea, I eat Korean food, shop cheaply, and party like a celebrity in top clubs. In America? I eat burgers and party at people's houses. The only factor that really defines a place is not by the obvious things to do there, but how you do them.

No comments: