Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two of a Kind



Chopsticks, a fork and knife, a married couple, bunk beds. I have started to notice more and more that everything comes in pairs. Hell, even the threes and fours have it good; tricycle, cyclops, human limbs, cheeks. There are so many things that are nothing without their other half, third, or quarter; why is it that nothing really comes to mind when we think of one?

Ones never get any of the attention because they're unimportant, predictable, and have nothing special to stand out amongst this world of twosies. I can think of a million things right now that are perhaps unfavorable to be a one-sie: a dateless prom, a single parent. I mean, since when was a poker hand with just a bunch of single numbers a good hand? The only time those numbers matter is when they have a match either in your hand or in the dealer's hand.

It's unfortunate that this world thrives on others by pairing, matching, and loving because of some hole in our hearts trying to be filled everyday. It isn't fair for the singles to be singled out because they haven't found their pair. Why should we have to go on feeling alone and unimportant? Just because others have found something great, I shouldn't have to feel bad about myself.. but I do because the only time I will matter or stand out is when I've found the remote to my tv, the cheese to my macaroni, the lens cap to my lens... the man to my "I love you's."

No comments: